8.21.2011

NINE-ELEVEN!

We all remember the tragedies of 9/11. I still remember sitting in my high school Civics class when the principal made an announcement of what happened. At that very moment I shed some tears. My classmates looked at me surprised of why it had such an affect on me. I asked the teacher if I could be excused and bounced. Went to a payphone and called my mom at work...

If you know me, then you know my mom's whole fam lives in NY. Therefore when this horrid incident took place, I was hoping my aunts weren't there. One of my aunt's worked in Manhattan, the rest the fam didn't really work in the area. But it was natural for me to feel the way I did. Could they have been in the area at the moment this occurred? That was definitely a huge possibility. Yes, I know there's tragedies that happen everyday in many different countries. Yes, I know there are a huge amount of people dying as I'm typing this right now... BUT, it's a whole different feeling when you know you have family that live in those areas. So I'd say 9/11 did scare me some.

As I was reading the Toronto Star at work today, there were a few posts on the Remembrance of 9/11 and how it's been a decade since the incident happened. That's the sole purpose of me even typing up this post, although I know it lies a few weeks ahead of us.

As I read about so many other countries who are facing trials and tribulations, it saddens me. I feel super fortunate to be where I am right now. Today I was complaining about how the weather sucks due to the rain, not realizing the drought certain parts of Africa are experiencing right now. I've been through a lot of b.s within my life, but none of that matters right now, nothing measures up to the fact that I never experienced being in 9/11, the genocide in Rwanda, or even the Holocaust. Gotta appreciate all the goods I have going on (not to say I've been unappreciative of any sort). Life's too short, LIVE IT UP!!!

Below is an article from the Los Angeles Times about a reporter who had some experienced in the 9/11 tragedy.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-towers-journal-20110821,0,2482452,full.story

No comments:

Post a Comment